Monday, July 04, 2016

"How to be angry with this face?"

Was over at Vicky's house today and we had a long long chat... About relationships, heartaches and our life partner. 


I've always admired this woman who's a dear cousin-in-law of mine. She's completely beautiful in and out, also amazingly inspiring for the things she's done and what she's been through. I almost see myself in her sometimes and thinks that's how I'll be when I'm her age. She's strong, independent, gutsy, bold, tells it like it is, swift and decisive, no nonsense, and most importantly, full of love and warmth and her heart is just pure golden with zero mean bones in her. I'm so blessed to have a family like her (although we are both in-laws but maybe that's why we bonded so well too, or maybe because we're more alike than it appears). 


I really like hanging out with her. I feel I've learnt alot just by being around her. 


Have I digressed? Not really, I wanted to connect to the title of this post. You see, the thing is, Nick was entirely around us as we were talking about said topics. It naturally gravitated towards him when we mentioned life partners. 


Vicky: "So what would Nick do if he *insert something guilty*?"


Nick: *gave the raised brow and oops look*


Me: "Exactly this look!"


Vicky laughed and said, "How to be angry with this face?"


And she meant it. I mean, I've always looked at Nick with anger when he did something wrong. Yea it's his style to give me that raised brow oops look when something unexpected happens. it always invoke laughters when we're around other people. Come to think of it, Nick can be annoying with his cynical replies, sarcastic almost, but it's who he is. I don't really want him to change that. 


I've come to accept him as he comes, weird habits and all. Friends have told me he can be unbearable. Yes he can be. But I realised I love him all the same, if not more. I thought he was being rude at times, but he really wasn't. It's just him. He's just...cynical to a large extent. Is it annoying? Yes, definitely. But nothing beats loving a person for who he or she is. 


My point is, I guess if someone like Vicky can see him for who he is (cute expression and all), shouldn't I as his spouse, see him from another perspective? Afterall, I can either choose to view him as rude and get hurt multiple times. Or I can embrace his quirky cynical self and overlook the bad bits to dig for the good ones. I know he certainly means no harm. He is not the easiest person to get along with but he makes me grow in ways I wouldn't have if not for him. God indeed have plans for us as we bounce back from our troubled past. His plans is greater than our own, for sure. 


Usually, the best medicine is the hardest to swallow. I'm glad I've wisen up since then. Old me would never have given in to commands even if they're God's will. It's just not my first instinct. I've been feeling really really good about most things recently. It may not always be sunny, but there is always a rainbow that forms after a storm. 


I'm highly extrovert, he's extremely introvert. I love life, he questions life. I'm a taker, he's a giver. I'm learning to be a giver too. I love things he hate, he love things I hate. We are polar opposites. We have two different sets of cereal because we can't agree on one. I'm anxious when stressed, he's calm and zen-like when stressed. In fact, the higher his stress, the more chill he gets. I'm in disbelief and impressed by how he does it. I'm very optimistic, he claims I'm negative. He thinks he's the optimistic one, I call him otherwise. It seems we can't even agree on the definition of optimism. 


Above all, we may be vastly different but we get each other. Or at least we are starting to, after what? 6 years? It's not always been this way for us, but we put in tremendous effort to make our relationship and marriage work. He is my husband, and I love him so. He may be a little wonky, but I'm no less better. Well, doesn't that describe us to a tee?



1 comment:

Nick said...

we are both wonky! moomoo